We all have some folders on our computers which are quite confidential to us, as we know the location of that folder and we would like monitor the changes to that folder and its contained files in it.
Today, we will share 7 free tools which lets you monitor folder changes not only on your hard disk but on your network too, some of them lets you configure to mail to a email id on folder content changes or sound an alarm. Folder Content changes includes file changes,renames, deletes and moving and copying etc.
Letâ€™s discuss all these free programs one by one and their features
1. MoniDIR 2000 â€“ It can monitor the status of 20 different folders on your hard disk, Files that are deleted, changed or added to the monitored folders can be reported via e-mail or via an sound and visible alarm.
2. BeeWatcher â€“ It is small easy to use program which lets you monitor a current folder changes and log them into a file, all changes like renaming,copying,deleting, creation and attributes gets recorded as per configuration.
3. Folder spy - It is a very simple program coded in VB which lets you spy on a folder on your local hard disk, Folder Spy can monitor the number of files you have in a particular folder.
4. FileGuard â€“ It can monitor a selected folder and its subfolders for changes, you can select in between modifications, renames, and deletes to monitor. FileGuard runs in the background and but show up in system tray while running.
5. FolderMon â€“ This application is a command line tool which can be used to watch directories, subdirectories and even entire drives, you just need to supply the correct trigger to monitor them.
6. SilentNight Inspector â€“ It is another useful tool which lets you detects and reports the File/Folder changes like Creation,Deletion, Attributes changes, Access date, Filesize changes etc.
7. Directory Monitor â€“ It is a good tool to monitor file and folder changes to monitor not only the local directories but the network shares and private directories etc. Directory Monitor on the other hand provides balloon notifications and lot more.
We hope you like the list of programs, tell us which one you like the most out of all the programs you mentioned.
8 replies on “7 Free Tools To Monitor Folder Changes”
That’s very useful one and you have listed 7 such tools… Nice list…
this is useful on collaborative work folders.. nice find!
Above listed softwares r softwares , but i have 1 query , suppose 1 folder is shared in a network names as “common” , n number of user access that folder , if any changes happen , all software records that change but doesn’t list username , which user made the changes . is there any software which list username as well as changes, that user’s made…
thnaks 1ce again
The query is : , suppose 1 folder is shared in a network names as â€œcommonâ€ , n number of user access that folder , if any changes happen , all software records that change but doesnâ€™t list username , which user made the changes . is there any software which list username as well as changes,and runs in d background that userâ€™s made
I want a software which I can point to a drive on my PC and have it monitor every folder and give me alerts on which folder has a growth of more than 500mb every week.
So lets say some unknown folder deep inside my PC some where grew from 40mb to 600mb in a weeks time., I should get an alert.
All the softwares on the net require me to tell them what folders to monitor., rather than them telling me which folders I should be paying attention to.
Can any one tell me if there’s any software out there that does this?
Thanks in Advance
@afif – Might this work for you? Watch Dir
Can i monitor and save a copy of created/deleted files using any tools?