In order to install windows xp you need a separated partition of size at least 2 gb ,But when when a system comes with preinstalled windows vista ,generally it comes as with a single drive.
So if you want to install windows xp on the computer with dual boot with windows vista you need to use the shrink drive feature of vista so as to get a new drive on which you can install windows xp.
Follow the step by step procedure to install windows xp with vista preinstalled.
1. Boot in Vista and go to – right-click My Computer>>Manage>>Disk Management.
2. Right-click on the main Vista partition and select Shrink Volume.
3. Enter the shrink size and it will reduce the volume of the primary partition, leaving the rest of the disk free as unpartitioned space.
4. Now Boot Up with Windows Xp Setup Cd and simply install Windows Xp on the new unallocated partition.
5. Now you need to repair the vista boot loader as the bootloader will get corrupted and you will not need any software to do it.
Why Repair ?
5.1 How to Repair or rewrite vista bootloader
Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program.
To do this, type the following command at a command prompt:
Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All
In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.
Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.
6. Now boot up normally you will see a new entry in the vista bootloader for Xp as “Earlier Versions Of Windows”
Please Leave Your Comments If You Experience Any Problem in Following the steps listed above.