In order to install windows xp you need a separated partition of size at least 2 gb ,But when when a system comes with preinstalled windows vista ,generally it comes as with a single drive.
So if you want to install windows xp on the computer with dual boot with windows vista you need to use the shrink drive feature of vista so as to get a new drive on which you can install windows xp.
Follow the step by step procedure to install windows xp with vista preinstalled.
1. Boot in Vista and go to – right-click My Computer>>Manage>>Disk Management.
2. Right-click on the main Vista partition and select Shrink Volume.
3. Enter the shrink size and it will reduce the volume of the primary partition, leaving the rest of the disk free as unpartitioned space.
4. Now Boot Up with Windows Xp Setup Cd and simply install Windows Xp on the new unallocated partition.
5. Now you need to repair the vista boot loader as the bootloader will get corrupted and you will not need any software to do it.
Why Repair ?
Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration.
5.1 How to Repair or rewrite vista bootloader
Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program.
To do this, type the following command at a command prompt:
Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All
In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.
Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.
6. Now boot up normally you will see a new entry in the vista bootloader for Xp as “Earlier Versions Of Windows”
Please Leave Your Comments If You Experience Any Problem in Following the steps listed above.
2 replies on “How to install windows xp in dual boot configuration on your computer with preinstalled windows vista without any software.”
sir, i am unable to do it
i have istalled the WIN XP as you told in the page alsoi have run the bootsect.exe from the windows XP.
then i am getting the vista loaded and no sign of win XP there however it is showing in the explorer of Vista that the new partinion drive G with windows XP how should i do to get the both OS loaded in the loader and loading with the choice of OS
How ever the boot.ini file shows in Vista the following Content
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Didn’t work at all. I did re thing to get XP from a different site but to repair the bootloader your settings didn’t work