We all use windows run prompt to launch various windows utilities like command prompt, msconfig but whenever we type a command in run prompt it gets saved in Windows as Run History as Run MRU (Most Recently Used) List.
Many of my friends gets annoyed to see recently typed commands in windows run as they do not want others to see what they had typed in run.
Today, we will tell you all the ways to clear run prompt history in Windows XP and Vista.
There two methods to clear the windows run history, the first method is via windows registry to clear windows run and second method involves a free utility MRU Blaster which lets you clear windows run history
Letâ€™s discuss both of these methods to clear the recently typed commands in run
Method 1: (Geeky Way)
Clear Windows Run Via Registry (For XP and Vista)
1. Open Start Menu >> Run, type regedit and press Enter
2. Navigate to the following path:
3. You will see various registry key values in the right pane, as there are in the snapshot shown below
4. Double click the key MRUList and delete everything in the value data box
Your run history will be cleared, if still it does not clear the run history, the open the same registry path again and delete everything except the key named Default
Method 2: (Simple Way)
Clear Windows Run History With MRU Blaster (For XP and Vista)
Playing with registry can be dangerous specially when you donâ€™t know much about windows registry. MRU Blaster on the other hand clear all the recently opened files list and windows run history also.
1. Download MRU Blaster from this link
2. Install MRU Blaster and Run it
3. Click the Scan button and then click the Clean Now button to clear the windows run history
4. Thatâ€™s it, your windows run prompt history will be cleared, exit MRU Blaster.
Note: You can configure MRU Blaster by clicking the Settings and configure the scan options